Where the Liberal Arts Meets the Future of Work
Our faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and professional partners mentor Lab students. We help them translate the skills and insights they have been developing in the liberal arts into professional settings in the arts, international relations, journalism, human rights, public health, sustainability, and more.
The core elements of our BELL learning model help students gain a clearer understanding of who they are, what they want for their future, and how to get there. These are our academic seminars, internship program, coliving community, and global alumni/ae network.
• Take a multidisciplinary approach to their liberal arts education.
• Think analytically about problems that are important to them: social, economic, environmental, and more.
• Value experiential learning and experimentation, testing assumptions as they map their transition from college to career.
• Reject rigid or mechanical approaches, preferring to apply new paradigms in order to see and understand the world like design thinkers.
• Seek to immerse themselves in New York City and explore their role as members of a dynamic community committed to equity and inclusion.
• Celebrate diverse viewpoints by acknowledging the efficacy of collaboration across different cultural, ethical, and personal perspectives in their education and work.
• Are future-oriented, applying new and creative solutions to the problems facing the world today.
The City Is Your Laboratory
Global Alumni/ae Community
The fields of education and work are in rapid transformation, and no one knows this better than our alumni/ae, who have recently navigated this transition and built successful careers and professional networks. Through BELL, you will gain access to the wisdom of their insights and extended networks.
But we will also ask you to give something back: to share your knowledge and experience with future generations of students, in order to continue the cycle of growth by paying it forward. This is how we change the world for the better as part of a global alumni/ae network.
Lab students live in a unique student residence and coliving community in the heart of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Unlike most traditional dorm rooms, our student residents have access to discover a whole range of thoughtfully designed shared spaces, and access to community building events and programming. The dorm wing of the building has aseparate, safe, and secure entrance to five dedicated floors of student-only housing.